Thursday, October 14, 2010

pretty simple things

In this time of chaos and uncertainty, I'm stopped in my tracks, in my mind, by this simple, little, perfectly topped strawberry. Have you ever seen anything so perfect? I'm certain that strawberry shortcake is going to pop out from behind it at any moment! ..Life is still sweet.

Do you know what these are?
Chataignes! It's chataignes hunting and gathering season. (Chestnuts?)

  Finding your food in nature, Kenji's specialty, yum!

Hunt, Gather, Eat... Happy Halloween?

We're doing a lot of scooby-doo watching on the computer lately...What does scooby-doo have to do with this picture of this innocent man at the cafe this afternoon? You tell me.
This is what my conversation with Kenji went like today:
Kenji: "Mom! Look at that guy over there! He looks just like the kinda guy from scooby-doo."
Me: "Which guy Kenji?"
Kenji: "The guy! You know, he looks like the guy at the end of scooby doo... the bad guy, the guy who get's caught at the end and his mask get's yanked off... and, and the mystery gang say "Old Mr. Hinkley!?" and then he says "Well if it wasn't for you meddling kids I would've gotten away with it!"
Me: "What is it exactly that makes you think of him being a scooby doo bad guy? 
Kenji:  "mom, just look at his shirt and sweater, it's exactly what the secret bad guys wear in scooby doo, and he has that mad kinda smirk on his face!"
Me: "Oh..."
I'm not sure how to introduce this picture above. I've got bitter sweet feelings about it.
Last Sunday we took the kids on a river boat ride. The boat ride we took offered a dinner on board. 
Oh - Look what's on the menu! ..Petunia.
Kids special. great...
But actually the sign also says, translated: "The Cruise of the Exploring Petunia". How fitting. So, we went on the boat ride, Petunia's boat ride, enjoyed ourselves and our little dinner, and honored Petunia on the Seine River.

-----------
We have a rough week ahead. These pictures, posts keep me somehow grounded and in touch with you, a place to show the funny things and beautiful things France has to offer.
Jm goes in for one week starting Sunday. Will post with funny things I am very sure to find at the hospital.

Hugs to Blacksburg.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hugs back! ...From Rhode Island, but I think I left my heart in Blacksburg...

Good luck next week! I'll be checking in on you guys.